Our Mission is to present theatre that
inspires thought and conversation,
illuminates the human condition,
and lifts the spirit.
"Jarrott Productions is becoming the central go-to company for performing arts in the downtown theatre scene and club scene."
- David Robinson, Central Texas Live Theatre
A Message from the Jarrott Productions Artistic Director:
Jarrott Productions, as part of #ATXtheatre, a collaboration of over 100 theatres in the Austin area, recently asked patrons like you to participate in a study on “How do you feel about attending the theatre?”
We appreciate your candid responses to this survey, which is part of our effort at Jarrott Productions to help us determine how to serve you in the best and safest way by listening to what you say you would need to feel to comfortable coming back to attend live theatre in the current climate.
Here are a few of the #ATXtheatre Survey Highlights:
• 1605 people took the survey. Almost half (48%) were 60 or older.
• When asked when they planned to return to live performances, only 16% said they would be ready to return right away. 21% do not plan to return until there is a vaccine. The remaining respondents were not sure when they would feel comfortable returning.
• Audience members will be looking for a variety of increased safety measures when they return. 86% will require social distancing, 79% want staff and audience to wear masks, 73% want venues to limit capacity and provide hand sanitizer, and 69% want venues to manage exit plans after performances to ensure social distancing.
• The survey also asked theatregoers about what type of venue they would be most comfortable attending when theatres reopen. Outdoor venues led the pack with 87% of respondents saying they would be comfortable watching theatre outside. Traditional proscenium spaces received a 62% approval, non-traditional “found” spaces received 34% approval, and intimate black-box spaces only had 24% of respondents stating they would be comfortable there when theatres reopen.
• In general, the survey was completed by regular theatregoers. About half the respondents stated they attend theatre once every two months. 37% said they attend more often and 15% attend less often.
The full #ATXtheatre survey can be found HERE.
What we hear you saying is that Austin audiences are willing to return, but not right away. And you will require strong safety procedures to feel comfortable in any venue. Jarrott Productions has many stories to tell, including three intriguing plays already chosen and cast just waiting in the wings for the most appropriate time to invite you to see them.
Rest assured that we will return from this long intermission when it is safe for audiences and artists alike to gather together and create the synergy that is live theatre!
Thank you for your continued patronage!
David R. Jarrott, Producing Artistic Director
On Behalf of the Jarrott Productions Board of Directors and Staff